Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 4

Good morning! Nothing like a warm cup of coffee through a syringe to start my day:) I guess this is what the doctor meant when he said it would get worse before it got better... here is an update:

Nosebleeds - just when I think they have stopped it will start bleeding again, so I pretty much keep cotton up my nose all day...just lovely. I've heard nosebleeds are very normal for upper jaw surgery though, so I'm not too worried, just annoyed at this point.

Swelling - my left eye has now begun to swell shut, and the roof of my mouth has too. My nasal passages must be really swollen because it is really hard to breath through my nose. Lips (mostly the upper lip) and cheeks continue to expand (more on the left than the right) as well. I've always been a "nose breather" when I sleep, so its hard to get used to sleeping with my mouth open. I don't know how people do it, I woke up 3 or 4 times just to drink some water because my mouth was so dry!

Bruising - Very light bruising on my right side, and it seems to be about the same as it has been on my left side, no better, no worse. I'm starting to get bruising under my left eye and the inside of my mouth is actually bruised, which is pretty weird to see.

Pain - Like I've heard from other people who have had this surgery, I'm not in excrutiating pain, but I AM extremely uncomfortable. My face feels like it weighs 20 lbs. and my skin feels incredibly tight. My lips hurt real bad too. haha I need my chapstick!

Food - not much to talk about here. I promised I wouldn't give them a hard time, but Gregg and my mom had pizza for dinner last night and it smelled and looked amazing. Gregg was going to let me lick a piece to "get the flavor" (isn't he sweet?) but I decided to pass and figured that would just make it harder. I made celery and pineapple juice, and had some butternut squash soup that Vanessa brought me instead.

Weight loss - I've heard you can expect to lose 10% of your body weight on a liquid diet even if you take in MORE calories than normal, since your body processes liquids so much faster than solids. Well, I'm not sure when that part starts because I have actually GAINED 5 lbs.



Here are some pictures taken around 12:30pm today ...














Chew something for me!


-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs