Friday, April 29, 2011

What did I have done?

So, a lot of people have asked what I had done exactly, and why I needed the surgery, since to most people my teeth looked fine before. The thing is, my "teeth" pretty much were fine, and I wanted them to stay that way, my bite on the other hand was incorrect and was causing my teeth to wear down more and more because of the way they hit each other. If I didn't have the surgery my teeth would have continued to get smaller and smaller. I got migraines on a regular basis from grinding my teeth, and had cracking and popping in my jaw.

I had braces for 1 1/2 years prior to the surgery to reposition my teeth to fit correctly AFTER surgery. If they had done the surgery without braces beforehand, my teeth wouldn't have fit together correctly, but now they only need fine tuning.

The procedure is called a "Lefort I Multi-Piece Osteotomy". The Lefort I can be 1-piece, 2-piece or 3-piece. I believe I got the 2-piece since they had to expand my upper jaw. In layman's terms:

2-Piece Lefort I Osteotomy:

•makes an incision under the upper lip
•fractures the upper jaw
•completely separates the upper jaw
•removes a wedge of bone
•splits the jaw down the middle
•re-positions the jaw
•re-attaches the upper jaw with titanium screws and plates
•sutures the incision




 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I understand the mechanics of it. I am sorry that you had to go through alot of uncomfortable surgery. I think that my side of the family has had a pretty good track record in the chopper department. I figure that it is from the maternal side that this devience has originated. And braces or not I still love you. Any rotten teeth may be from me mom's side, but don't say I told you so,....o.k.?
    love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had the same surgery done last week and decided to look-up the surgery to help explain it to others. I just happen to stumble across this site while searching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully this was able to help you explain it a little better! I plan on updating it even more in the next few days since it has now been over 6 months since the surgery and all the swelling gone and I am just about ready to get my braces off. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please continue to update! I'm about to embark on this journey and am trying to learn all I can. Spacers today, braces next week, surgery about 10-12 months down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having this surgery on March 1st and am very nervous! I had the SARPE (Surgically Assisted Rapid Palatal Expansion) done in February of last year and this will be my final surgery to complete my perfect bite! I've been doing some research to further understand the healing process and just the surgery in general..you have been very helpful! I'm only 18 years old and with graduation and prom quickly approaching I'm very nervous about the swelling. How is your's doing? Please update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla, so you had your surgery yesterday!!! How are you feeling? I hope you are doing well. Remember, it will get worse before it gets better, the peak being around day 5 for me. But you won't regret it! Are you going to blog? I'd love to see before and afters!

    Now that I know people are reading this blog, I promise to update!! I actually just had an implant yesterday, so I will write about that process and post new pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had a bone graft on Monday and the recovery has been so bad! I was in a car accident when I was 7 and lost my two front teeth so I needed a block bone graft on the two front teeth of my mouth. It is day 5 and I can barely open my mouth and when I laugh..I cry! It hurts so bad! I just found your blog while searching recovery and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs