Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Surgery and Day One


I still can't belive its all done! It seems like I've been planning this surgery for so long, and now its finally all over!

Heres a little recap of the surgery, and how my first day home has been...

Yesterday was a long day... had to be up at 4am, at the hospital by 5am and surgery was at 7:30am. The last thing I remember is being wheeled into the operating room and the anesthesiologist saying "sweet dreams".... next thing I know I am waking up in recovery around 10:30 and was finally moved to my actual room at 12pm, when I got to see my hubby and my mom (who have been wonderful and supportive and so sweet throught it all).

The surgeon said everything went wonderfully. Here is what he ended up doing: taking a bone graft from my lower jaw and putting in my upper jaw in an area I will need an implant down the road, moving my upper jaw down 3mm and out 6mm and the day of surgery I found out he was going to widen my upper jaw a few mm's as well.

Sleep last night was in and out. I wasn't really a big fan of Morphine, it didn't seem to take the pain away, it just made me sleepy and that didn't even seem to last very long. So they switched me to Roxicet which helped with the pain, didn't give me that groggy "out of it" feeling and lasted around 3 1/2 hours...MUCH better. They were also giving me high doses of antibiotics, potassium, and steriods.

The surgeon came and saw me this morning and said that everything looked great and the I could be discharged after I got up and walked around and could keep down clear liquids. I was pretty ready to get home and to my bed, so I made myself get up and walk the whole floor and ended up getting discharded at 9am.

All of the nurses, and doctors at Northside Hospital were amazing. I can't say enought about how well they took care of me. Hopefully I'll never have to go through this again, but if I had to, it would be there.

Here are a few photos taken the evening of surgery:







And here are a few later last night. As you can see, the swelling and bruising really aren't that bad yet. The surgeon said that day 5 (sat/sun) is when the swelling and bruising will peak, and that that is also when the steroids will start leaving my system so to expect to be in a bad mood, and feel depressed... can't wait. haha







I will take more pictures today, and update you on any changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs